Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Homework - A Natural Progression

Excited about her first real homework assignment.





One of the cardinal rules of parenting is don't compare your children. However, one of your first instincts as parents is, you guessed it, compare the brood. My Andrew spoiled me, academically speaking. He has always been a "gifted" kid, and never really realized it. This year he's in 4th grade, but starting out doing 5th grade math at his new "gifted" acadamy. He's been out smarting us for years. Of course he has also enjoyed raking me over the coals when it comes to behavior. A real "challenge" that one. Any who, speaking of comparing - Abbey knows that things don't come as easy for her as they did Andrew. She's not big dummy by any means, she's going to have to work for what she learns. She, like 99% of us, has to work at things before she understands a concept. She's more my "socially gifted" child. I could not be more proud.
Today, after school, she was excited to announce that she had homework. "Aren't you so excited mom? My first real homework. Don't you want to take pictures of that?" As soon as we got in the house, she was at the table with a sharp pencil. The first page was a snap, tracing. Easy breezy. Second page, rhyming. Snap, it's done. Third page.....cue the record scratch sound effect. Page three - write three sentences about your picture. "What? That is so stupid! I don't do pictures, and I don't do sentences. I only make rainbows. I'm outta here! Forget this stupid stuff, I'm never doing this again."
Oy Vey.

No comments: