Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Last Chance - Stay Calm


Today was the day. I've hyped up the greatness of Last Chance to my mom for a couple of years, and today she thought she was up for the challange. Little did I know, the challange was mine.
As we decended into the pit of scary shoppers and lectures about "aggressive shoppers" the thrill of the hunt got the shopping juices flowing. After the speach about not killing your fellow shopper, the manager announced a purse lottery. A purse lottary? I've never heard of this? What is the procedure? Does this involve any blood shed or my first born? I had no time to thing the gates opened and huge line formed down the center isle. I got in line to see what this was all about. We all chose a random number from a box held by a man and guarded by a securtiy officer, amazing. I drew #9 of course. If you know me at all #9 follows me everywhere I go, but that's a whole different story.
There was an announcement over the loud speaker for everyone with a number to form a line in the main lobby. Looks of envy followed me as I made my way to the front of the line. I could feel the heat of their glances on my back. As the mystery door opened the first 10 people where allowed in. The lady at the door started the stop watch and announced "five minutes! only keep two things in your hands and pay before you leave." Wow, such pressure. Was the Kate Spade too white, was the Juicy to heavy? I need help! I need advice! "One minute" shouted the voice. In a moment, before I even knew what I was doing, I put both bags down and headed for the door. Wide eyes and gasps came from the line as they saw me leave empty handed.
What just happened? How could I leave those bags? I failed. I failed as a shopper, I failed under pressure. My hands shook and my brow sweat. I could not take the power shop in the mystery room at Last Chance. I know now, I'll pratice shopping with a stop watch in really small rooms.

No comments: