Sunday, September 14, 2008

Two Months




Two months ago, my precious father drew his last painful breath and his took his first perfect step into heaven. I could not miss that man any more than I do right now. Every day that has passed I've thought of something that I need to tell him. The other day Andrew and I shared a rare car ride home from school alone. This was also the day he brought home his timeline project (see older post.) He asked me what I missed the most about Papa. Before I answered I asked him the same question. As it turns out, we miss the same thing, his voice. He said with perfect inflection and tone of my dad, "Hello, Andrew!". Every time they spoke, dad started with the same greeting. We have pictures that we will treasure forever, but we miss the voice. I would have thought that things would slowly start to get to "normal" by now, but that is not the case. As I move out of "shock" I start to digest all that has happened. I'm so thankful that I was able to write him a letter letting him know all the ways and reasons I loved him. I'm also thankful that I was able to be there with him in the end. I'm so glad that I was able to tell him goodbye and that I would miss him, and I'm so glad I will see him again.
I wanted to share a song that I heard for the first time while I was in Dallas. My family had been with me a week, and it was time for daddy to take them home for a while. After I dropped off my husband and kids at the airport, I drove home in a haze. I was thinking about missing my babies and I was also thinking about how much I was already missing my dad, although he was still alive at the time. The DJ was announcing that this song was played first in TX, so of course I had to listen. Well, 3 minutes later I was sobbing so hard that I had to pull off the highway. I've heard songs that I could relate too, but this song was for me, start to finish. It's made its way to the airways here in AZ and it gets me every time. Click on this link below

No comments: