Thursday, August 21, 2008

School Lunch At It's Best




After being scolded by the almighty lunch room monitor for sitting across from Abbey instead of next to Abbey, I took my seat. Abbey was excited to see me, but more interested in the McDonalds. She and the notorious Steven played the whole time with her happy meal toy, a bobble head star wars figure. Steven was known by the lunchroom staff, and explained that he is Abbey's friend because she throws cheetos in his lunchbox. Soon after my chat with Steven, I lost all hearing and ability to think clearly when the PE class entered the cafeteria to play dodge ball. I knew this was a "multipurpose building" but I had no idea that 3rd graders would be playing dodge ball next to my hungry kindergartener? I think the accuracy of a 3rd grader dodge ball is a bit like trying to launch a fork full of spaghetti into the trash can from the dinner table. Possible, but a very messy miss. As I rubbed my head and laughed to myself, I turned and noticed Shane (pictured above). He said something that I could not hear, but I'm pretty sure we we had the same thought.

Having lunch with Andrew was a little different. The PE class had shifted out, but it was still full of 2nd and 3rd graders. Andrew was happy to see me, but you would have never known. He grabbed his Mikey D's and headed to the end of an abandoned table. I guess if your mom comes to lunch, it's best to avoid everyone completely? As soon as we sat down, the table began to populate.....with girls. There was not a boy within a 10 foot radius. As I sat and recalled Abbey's lunch had been a similar experience with the opposite gender. What was happening? Was this normal? I asked Andrew where his buddies where and he could not even point in the general direction. My thoughts jumped ahead about 5 years, and I started to sweat.

Any who, after coming back to reality I started asking the girls in front of us about their lunch. I had sat through 2 lunch breaks and could not figure out what they were serving those kids! One of the more adventurous girls volunteered to taste the concoction. She came to the conclusion that the mystery meat was chicken with a pint of gravy, but she could not be certain. She added that she was going to ask her mom to start making her lunch. Good choice, wise beyond her years.

No comments: