Sunday, August 17, 2008



Some of my best childhood memories are those sitting on the front porch. I remember finishing up a nice big plate of hamburger helper and heading out to play. Mom and Dad would pull out a couple of lawn chairs and chat it up with the neighbors. We lived on a street were everyone knew everyone, and no one really knew where all the kids were.

As a child, it was so much fun running in one house and out another, as long as I was home before the street light came on. My next door neighbor, Lareasa, was my best friend and worst enemy. We would start everyday as best friends and top off a long day of playing with a quick shout...."I'm never playing with you again". She is still my friend today after all this time.

I wonder why we don't have that anymore? Are we too busy as a family to enjoy a nice night out on the front porch? Can we not enjoy a quiet evening talking to our kids and waving to the crazy souls out for exercise? Every time I buy grapes at the store, Abbey wants to sit out on the porch and talk over a bowl of grapes (ice cream was the case on Saturday.) Needless to say I try to always have grapes on hand because I know one day, my kids will retreat to the phone behind bedroom doors.

1 comment:

I teach . . . said...

You joined the blogging revolution! Good for you! I love it.

We too do the porch gig. My whole neighborhood does. We are fortunate enough to have lots of kiddos around and some great parents that go along with them. Bring your grapes over here!

Miss A and Z-man saw each other again this morning and said their typical hellos. We should get them together to play sometime soon.

Amanda